Thursday, March 12, 2009

Change in immunosuppressant regime

I have to change the immunosuppressants that I have been taking since my transplant.  I have been taking Raptiva and Rapamune (Sirolimus).  Recently, a few people have died from the Raptiva.  They were taking it for psoriasis, not islet cell transplants, and were on a dose that is  twice what I take.  But, the study doctors have decided to take all of the patients in this protocol off of the raptiva to be safe.  And, they also decided to take us off of the rapamune and start us on two different immunosuppressants.  The two new ones are both tried and true and have proven to be useful in transplants and are easier on the kidneys.  So I guess it should be  ok.  I  am a little disappointed and apprehensive.  I have been doing so well with my current regime.  My glucose numbers have been just great, and I have been lucky with having only minimal side effects from the drugs.  It seems crazy to have to roll the dice from my comfortable vantage point.  But, I really do understand that I have to.  I have not got much sympathy from family or friends with my wanting to stay on the raptiva and just hope for the  best. Anyway, it  is not my decision to make.

So, as of tomorrow, if they come in the mail today, I will  be starting on Cellcept and Prograf (Tacrolimus). Most of the questions people ask me are in regards to the immunosuppression, so I will have the twice the experience and the ability to compare.  I am hoping to be as lucky with the new ones as I was with the old.

1 comment:

Stephenie Brown said...

I'M TOTALLY FREE FROM HEPATITIS B. FOR OVER YEARS LIVING WITH  IT
 I’m Stephenie Brown, i was diagnosed with Hepatitis B 3 years ago, i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn’t going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors about herbs to cure me and ended up spending some amount of money but i never got better i was determined to get my lifestyle back and to be able to do things am restricted from doing so one day i saw a lady’s post on how Herbalist Dr. JAMES cured her  from Hiv virus with his herbal medicine. I contacted the same Doctor through his email....drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com....we spoke, i told him all that i was going through and he told me not to worry that everything will be more better again so he prepared a herbal medicine and send it to me through DHL courier company and told me the dosage,after 13 days of completing the herbal medicine,i was totally free from Hepatitis,so I went to see a doctor for a blood test ,After taking a sample of my blood for the test the result came out negative,i just can’t deny that i’m the most happiest woman on earth this very moment ,i’m so happy and thanks to Herbalist Doctor JAMES
He also told me he cures  diseases   such as Melanoma ,Cancer,Weak Erection,Wart Remover,Hpv,Herpes,Fibromyalgia,Hiv,Hepatitis b,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory,Epilepsy,Infertility,Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd,Back pain,Nephrotic syndrome,
 AND MORE contact him  on
Email..... DRJAMESHERBALMIX@GMAIL.COM