Monday, October 26, 2009

Santa Barbara




We just returned from a fantastic trip to Santa Barbara, CA where we visited our son, Gary.  It was one of those trips where everything just goes right.  The weather was perfect.  The scenery was amazing.  We can see why he likes it so much there.  We enjoyed mostly outdoor activities.  We biked along the Pacific, hiked in the mountains, toured the Botanical Gardens, and found some historical sites.  Gary took us to see one of the telescopes that his company owns and which he helps to maintain the network. It was way in the mountains in a national forest and the drive there and back was spectacular.  We ate most of our meals at open air restaurants and just had a wonderful time with Gary and Heather.  And of course we got to see his dog Maddux, the genius.


It was so nice not to have to worry about how the time change, especially with all of our added vigorous activities would affect my blood sugars and general state of well being.  I rarely even thought about it other than to notice that it was not an issue.  In previous visits across three time zones, it was always a problem, no matter how much. I anticipated and prepared for it.  My stomach was on its best behavior for this trip too.

Now I am getting ready to leave  for my one year and three month visit to Minneapolis.  I am really looking forward to it.  I leave tomorrow afternoon.  It has been a crazy week of flying, but so much fun.  I still have not managed to get my H1N1 vaccine and it makes me nervous to fly with so many people.
I have my mask that I can wear if I get near to someone who looks sick, but so far I haven't felt that I needed it.


1 comment:

parrotletzoo said...

It is nice to be able to be active and not think about things like blood sugars isn't it? I think it's my favorite thing about my transplant - the lack of constant need to be vigilant. I hope your trip to MN goes well. And congrats on being over a year insulin free!

too cool!