Tuesday, December 6, 2011

My New Normal?

I know a few family members and friends would like to have a heyday with that title.  But, I do  have SOME normal aspects.

I saw the nephrologist for my follow up appointment last week.  It has been 3 months since my initial visit and she had ordered some tests in between.  Overall, she says that everything looks good.  My renal ultrasound was normal.  My 24 hr urine was normal.  My sodium was just a little high, but no higher than before.  My creatinine was 1.1 this time, which is the same as 3 months ago, but still on a slow increase.  I asked her about this, and she said that its not really high enough to be of concern.  I must have been worrying about this, because I felt very relieved to hear her say that.  She says that the increased values are most likely due to my immunosuppression and bactrim.  Its a side effect.

This seems to be a common thread among my current abnormal lab results.  I used to have low cholesterol, low blood pressure, and normal everything that was non-diabetes related.  Now, not so much.  When I ask about dietary changes, the answers are similar as well.  Watching fat will help my cholesterol.  Watching salt and potassium, might help with my blood pressure and kidney function.  BUT, it wouldn't be enough in any of these instances.  I have to take additional medication to balance the effects of the immunosuppression.  My normals have shifted.  I can handle that.  None of the new medications have any side effects at all.  Just more pills which I am used to by now.

When the nephrologist saw on my chart that I had mentioned ankle swelling, she took a look at my ankles.  They were indeed swollen and she prescribed a diuretic.  Again, no symptoms.  Its only been a few days, but there does seem to be less swelling.  I always thought my ankles were too skinny, but I am alway glad to see them back the way they belong.

My immunosuppressant levels have been inconsistent lately.  My Rapamune is now up to 10mg/day and Prograf is down to 10mg/day.  

I was contacted by John Parkinson at DiabetesCare.net to do an article about my transplant story.  He interviewed me over the phone, and the interview is here.  I've visited this site many times and use it as a resource for news articles on diabetes topics.  I am pleased with the article and the chance to share my message here.

I just returned from a great trip to California to visit the kids.  My Mom and I had a wonderful time and the kids all seem to be doing fine and having a great time.  I only wish it wasn't so far.


No comments: