Friday, December 21, 2012

Treating the BK virus


BK virus
It was decided that lowering my dose of prograf might not be enough to treat the virus.  An antiviral would be necessary to rid me of the virus completely.

Unfortunately, it must be administered by IV, so I am once more in the hospital.  The antiviral is cidofovir and although it's job is to cure my kidneys of this nasty infection, it is also toxic to my kidneys.  So I also have a second drug, probenecid that somehow protects my kidneys.

I'm having my second dose now and so far so good.  I had a headache and some nausea, but not as much as I had been worried about.  I'll be having future doses at an infusion center as an outpatient which will be more convenient.

My kidneys are being closely monitored as well.  Here are the results for the last three days:

Creatinine 1.65,  1.69,  1.77
BUN .           58,  47,  42

My blood sugars are remaining stable except for an insertion site mishap.  I'm giving up on the Mio insertion device.

3 comments:

Scott K. Johnson said...

Hang in there, Kathy!

Kathy said...

Thanks, Scott,
I am. I'm home now. I was released early for good behavior :) and I can continue my treatments as an outpatient, which will be much easier.

Bird Removal Austin said...

Thankks for sharing