Sunday, December 21, 2008

Day 150

It has been 150 days since my transplant now.  I feel like everything is still on course.  
It has been 90 days since I have taken any insulin.  I still feel for both my pump and my glucose monitor in my pockets at times, but other than that, everything feels very natural.  I still think about what my blood sugar is practically 24/7.  I'm not sure if that is because old habits die hard, or because I still need to check it 7 times per day for the study protocol.  Probably a little bit of both.

Of course, the difference is that now my numbers are mostly normal.  I still have some that are higher than I would like (150-180) after meals.  These do stress me, but help to remind me that I am still a diabetic.  The bad numbers also give me a stronger motivation to watch what I eat.  It would in no way be worth it to enjoy a piece of chocolate cake (my previous favorite) and then watch my next reading be over 200.

I also seem to be tolerating the drugs well.  A few mouth sores are the worst part of it and they are minor.  My stomach seems to be making some strange and different noises, but nothing painful.  And, more importantly, no illnesses or infections.

No comments: