Tuesday, June 16, 2009

fiber pill experiment

I have finished my fiber pill experiment. The results are that the psylium based pills help and the inulin based pills do not. I did not even finish the three days of the inulin pills. The three days with no pills felt somewhere in between. I would like to say that the psylium pills brought me back to feeling normal, but that is not the case. I have some good days and some not so good days. I think the immunosuppressants are just too powerful to completely overcome.

Gary and I are heading to St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands soon. We have been really looking forward to the trip. We missed our vacation last year when I had the transplant. It will be so nice to enjoy a beach vacation such as this with no insulin pump to contend with.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've been tested for Celiac Disease, right? It's very common in those with Type 1 diabetes (especially 'brittle' Type 1). Also very commonly undiagnosed. The stress of the procedure could have triggered the onset if you never had symptoms before. I thought I'd mention it, since you also have low bone density, another symptom (although this can also be from diabetes itself and a million other conditions...).

I'm sure you've been tested, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

From, a fellow Type 1 with Celiac and Hashimoto's. :)

DiabetesPlanner said...

it sucks when someone get diabetes at this age , but fact is you need to live with it .Fight this challenge and win :)

jimpurdy1943@yahoo.com said...

Fiber pills ...

Psyllium doesn't seem to do anything to/for me, either good or bad. Inulin in excessive amounts plays havoc with my digestion.

I don't have the health issues you have, and I just try to get my fiber from fresh avocados, tomatoes and red bell peppers.

Best wishes to you.