Thursday, April 29, 2010

Results of my 21 month visit to Minneapolis

I had a wonderful time on my visit to the transplant center in Minneapolis.  It was nice to be there in good health this time.  On my last visit, I was in the middle of the CMV infection.  It made for a less complicated visit.

It was decided that I should stay on the Valcyte for a while longer to keep the CMV at bay.
My weight was 103.6 lbs. which is up from 101, but not by much.  I was hoping for more.  I'll have to keep working at it.  I do think their scale is a little on the low side, but it is my point of reference.

I had the opportunity to get together with one of the transplant patient that I communicate with once in awhile.  He is in the same protocol as me, so we have been through this experience together.  He had to go through the drug transition too, but was able to tolerate the Cellcept.  We had a very special time sharing our thoughts about all of this.  We are both so pleased with our results and so grateful to the people who make it possible.

I also got to meet a woman who I had been communicating with on the facebook page.  We happened to be having our appts the same day.  She is on the waiting list now.  They must have changed the protocol to include pre-transplant visits every 3 months.

The facebook page is really taking off.

The chemistry tests all were normal

For the CBC
WBC is 2.2  Absolute neutrophils is 1.7
Hemoglobin and hematocrit are back to norma levels.  The vitamins with iron helped.

Prograf was 4.5 which is within range.
Rapamune was 7.2 which is within range.

A1c is 6.2  which is up from 5.4 on the 18 mos. visit. (Normal is 4-6.)  I'm hoping that the increase is due to the stress of the CMV and the drug transition.  I have noticed that my blood sugars have increased lately.  

Before breakfast:                 blood sugar is 93          C-peptide is ?

After breakfast (90 min.)     blood sugar is 159        C-peptide is 3.0

The first picture was taken on my walk along the Mississippi.  I got rained on and had to run most of the way back and up a long flight of steps that offers a shortcut back to the hospital.  The second is from my garden.

No comments: