Wednesday, September 24, 2008

day 63

Another call  from Minnesota, this time saying that my Epstein-Barr titer was even higher.  I had been suffering from a sore  throat and some mild cold-like symptoms since thursday, but did not feel like I had mono.  By this time my throat was feeling better and I felt fine otherwise.  But it was important to find out what is causing the high titer.  

So I spent most  of the day on tuesday trying to get in to see a doctor.  I had recently switched family doctors, and my new doctor wasn't comfortable seeing me without more information on my condition and she was very unavailable.  So I ended up going to my old family doctor who was available.  I had a mono test drawn and more lab work to be mailed back to Minneapolis to retest the EBV titer and measure my drug levels and wbc counts.  I  am still waiting for the results.

I am still insulin free and having good numbers.  I  talked to  Dr Hering about my slightly above target range post-meal numbers and he says they are not high enough to  worry about.

It is  so nice not to worry about lows.  I  actually slept the whole night through last night which is the first that  I  can remember in many years.  I still can't leave the house or go on a walk without food with me.  That is still way beyond my imagination.  

2 comments:

BetterCell said...

Thank you for your comments Kathy. This is a topic of great interest to me in both a personal and intellectual way of inquiry.
My feelings are that the problem in T1DM has yet to be fully identified and understood.
We all now know, that there is a great deal of Inflammation that continues on which in-turn affect both the Micro and Macro Vascular Systems of the Body...........hence the 5X rate of Cardio-Vascular Disease in Diabetes as compared to the rest of the population, in addition to other Complications.
I can speculate and say that the remaining levels of Inflammation show that our Immune System is still in the process of trying to "rid" the Body of whatever entity that is and has been found to originally cause the destruction of the Insulin Producing Cells.
The other speculation is that the Immune System had gone awry and left havoc in its path......which continues with the end result which is Inflammation and eventual Tissue/Organ Destruction.
Those are my feelings after a long Hx of T1DM.
As for C-peptide Kathy..........
Even without Islet Cell Transplant, your Body could have a continual supply if Porcine/Bovine Insulin which did contain C-peptide was made available again for the Consumer with T1DM.
C-peptide has been found to offer beneficial effects to the person with Diabetes as well as Protective.
I am in NYC where many many people cough and sneeze openly on buses, subways, trains. Planes on the other hand, use re-circulated air. So if someone sneezes or/and coughs without covering nose/mouth, those microorganisms will recirculate and put the person who is on Immune-Suppression Medication further at risk for Infection.

BetterCell said...

Addendum.........
In fact Kathy, those Triggers that are responsible for the Inflammation as well as the cause to the destruction of our Insulin producing cells in T1DM are still present.
The complexity to all of this is a little like the chicken & egg debate as to which came first....The destruction or the Inflammation?