Saturday, April 11, 2009

New drug issues continued...

I am now finished with the Raptiva/Rapamune drug regimen.  They should soon be out of my system and I can see how the new drugs are treating me.  I  think that my energy level is better, but my stomach is still uncomfortable.  I have been taking Metamucil, but it has not helped much.  I miss my coffee.  It just doesn't sound good anymore.

Most importantly, my blood sugar levels have been good.  I have had a few higher ones since I started the new drugs, but they seem to be getting fewer and not as high.

I suppose that having side effects of the immunosuppressants like I am having now is more what I expected pre-transplant.  I think that I was just very lucky with the first set.  Hopefully, the Prograff and Cellcept will settle down somewhat, but all that really matters is that they protect my islet cells.

4 comments:

SheyFey said...

Sounds like the new drugs are good. Glad to hear. Side Effects are scary sounding when they present them to you pre transplant....

RBHARRIS08 said...

I had an islet cell tx in 2001. Have been on all of the drugs you've mentioned. Am still on Raptiva, but coming off soon given the recently FDA warnings. Looks like I will go on a new drug called Orencia to replace the Raptiva. A little bummed since Orencia can only be administered via IV each month. Nonetheless, I definitely have had less side effects as the yrs. have progressed--the benefit of new drugs :) Best wishes! JaimeS

Anonymous said...

Kathy,
I just wanted to say thank you for coming to our class at Owens to talk about your experience. Thank you for opening our eyes to something new that most of us didn't even know existed. We all appreciated hearing your story and are so happy for you that it worked out as well as it has. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Sincerely,
Katie Jesse

bactitech said...

My daughter Katie (who just posted a comment) told me about your blog. Nancy had told me that you were on the waiting list. I'm so glad it happened for you and wish you the best of luck post transplant.

Judy D. (former PL employee and friend of Nancy D. :-)