Saturday, September 18, 2010

Diabetes Transplant Summit at Diabetes Research and Wellness Foundation

The Diabetes Research and Wellness Foundation is hosting a Diabetes Transplant Summit.  I have been invited to be one of the islet cell transplant recipients there to share my story.  I am extremely honored and thrilled to have this opportunity.  Drs. Hering (my doctor) and Sutherland will be there to tell about the research.  As of now, there are four recipients, including myself.

I think this is such an important thing to do.  There are so many people, including the diabetic population, that are unaware of this research and how close we really are to developing it into the cure.  I feel my story is so important because it offers so much hope.  I am really excited to be able to share it.  I'm anxious just to hear what both Dr. Hering and Dr. Sutherland have to say.  It is just amazing that I will actually be a part of it all.

Here is the link to the DRWF pamphlet.  Take a look.  Come to it if if you are able.  It takes place on Nov. 12 in Bethesda, MD.

2 comments:

Ryan Neil Lund said...

Thanks for posting. I am going to try and make the trip from Newport, RI. Hope you are well.

Brandy said...

Congratulations on your journey thus far! I hope it is going well and you are feeling well. Other than avoiding minors being minors, are there other reasons why recipients must be 18 to participate in islet transplants?